Friday, June 24, 2011

Terrible Travels, Part 1

The first time I flew to USC, to actually go there rather than go to orientation or go to see it, was a terrible, terrible experience. My beautiful, wonderful, amazing friends had decided to throw me a surprise going away party to say “goodbye for now.” It was great! They signed posters, made me a cake, everything. The only problem was that my flight was the next morning, so early that my mom and I were leaving the house at 4am so that we could make it to the airport in time for our 6 or 6:30am flight (I can’t remember the exact time). My friends stayed until 2am…

So I had to rush to pack everything I would need for the first four months of school, ended up falling asleep for a little bit, and then we finally left the house around 4:45 or 5am, way too late to even begin to be on time.

When we got to the airport, the line was incredibly long for so early in the morning. Needless to say, we missed our flight, but only barely. Meanwhile, my mom is yelling (that is her go-to thing when she is frustrated) and I am crying (that used to be my go-to thing, not so much anymore) and there are people staring and it just felt awful.

So the airline nicely rescheduled our flight for an hour or two later, and we were on our way to Phoenix in no time. Oh yes, Phoenix, because we had to fly to my grandmother’s, where we then drove her car from there to Los Angeles. It wasn’t too bad, except for the fact that we got lost on the highway because if you do not know Los Angeles freeways, they can be pretty darn confusing. Now, I can’t imagine my life without them. Then, I couldn’t believe they were so huge!

We got lost, but we found our way anyway. Then, there was major traffic because EVERYBODY was moving in, and then we couldn’t find my apartment building. After that, it’s not too memorable, so I’m sure it was uneventful.

The trip started out terribly and ended normally. If you ever feel frustrated, just think of how much worse it can be, or how much better it can get!

Have a great weekend!

PS – I submitted the first part of my Peace Corps Medical Packet today!

No comments:

Post a Comment