Friday, June 17, 2011

The Reason for the Title of this Blog

The title of this blog may seem a little sad to some, but I think of it in a happy sense. When I travel alone, which I do a lot, actually, I get to do my own things, make my own plans, and best of all, it makes me put myself out there and get to know more people. For instance, the past two times that I have gone to Washington DC, I have driven there alone, and stayed there alone, and both times have amazing stories attached to them. I see the ability to be content traveling alone as a gift, really. I have started conversations with people I never would have reached out to had I not had somebody with me. Although, I have to admit, flying alone is sometimes no fun because then you have to lug your baggage with you everywhere you go, so if you have to use the restroom, you have to pile everything together and lose your seat at the same time. But other than that, as long as I have my cell phone so my parents (or whoever is looking after me, in a sense) know that I am okay, I love the freedom.

Don’t get me wrong, I love traveling with people too, but sometimes, when you only have a small amount of time in any given place, two people may not see eye-to-eye on where to go and what to do.

When I am alone, I am unafraid to venture out on my own, to meet people and befriend them, talk to them and get their stories, their opinions, their life experiences. When I am alone, I am free.

A famous singer once said, “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.” But, I don’t think so. Freedom is adventure, a way to escape a reality you may not find all too satisfying for just a little while, to do something you may not have thought of doing before. Traveling is freedom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the best experience you've had while traveling alone? I was in San Francisco alone for several days...and it was the MOST AMAZING THING EVER.

I mean, everytime I got lost, I had an adventure. It got to the point where I'd just go and get lost on purpose :D

M.F. said...

Ah! It will be in a blog post soon-ish I hope, but, as a preview, every time I go to Washington DC alone I have an absolute blast because 1) I love DC and 2) I can make my own itinerary and that is AWESOME!

Being alone also makes me reach out to people more, which, in turn, gives me more opportunities to meet awesome peeps.

Post a Comment