Saturday, July 21, 2012

Modern Conveniences While Traveling

I am currently typing this blog entry from a bus somewhere between Newark, NJ and Washington DC. The bus has WiFi, which is awesome, although not totally necessary. 

For my trip to Washington DC for the next week, I have packed my laptop, nook, iPod, camera, and cell phone, along with all of their chargers. For some people, including me, this feels totally necessary. A cell phone is a must, really, but other than that, all of these electronics are not really needed. The camera is great to make memories, and show them to people, but I could always use my words. My laptop and iPod are just entertainment devices, although the laptop comes in handy to communicate thoughts, like right now. The nook (it's a Simple Touch) is basically just a bunch of books; it doesn't do anything fancy. 

There are so many people on the bus with their electronics: headphones plugged in, existing in their own little world. Are we that scared to make contact with another person? Are we that scared to be alone with our own thoughts?

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I'd estimate (conservatively) that you could go travel to about 75% of the countries on Earth, and be able to use/charge these items. There really is no more "roughing it," unless it is self-imposed. 

I'm hoping that when I eventually do get into/leave for the Peace Corps, when I get assigned to my site, it is pretty out of the way. Not in a romanticized way, but just because I would love to be able to experience life without all of these technologies, and I know that it would be hard for me, and I welcome the challenge. We'll see how that goes...

When I was in Tanzania for the two months I was there, I was laptop-less and it was glorious, in a really awesome, freeing way. Now, I'm constantly worried about missing an email or a facebook message and therefore missing something important. I feel so tied to technology. Does anybody else feel that way?

So these are just some thoughts on a bus at 9:30am, when I've only gotten about an hour of sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment