Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4, 2007

On this date 5 years ago, I graduated from high school, ready and willing to take on the world.

In these past 5 years, so much has happened. I have traveled to more places than I ever dreamed possible. I have had absolutely frightening, absolutely enthralling, and absolutely wonderful experiences. I have made friends that I hope I never lose. I have proven to myself that I can do things that I never thought possible. I have been in love and been loved. I have survived. I have thrived. I have discovered the beauty around me. I have cried over loss, cried from happiness, and cried for no other reason than to get it out of my system.

5 years ago today, I didn't yet know what happened to Harry Potter in his final search for Voldemort. I had not reached age 18 yet. I had absolutely no thoughts of joining a sorority, and was, in fact, celebrating my "Most Unique" title. I had no idea what a big or a little was, or how special they could be, and how much they could mean to me. I had never lived on my own for more than 3 weeks. I had never owned a Macbook. I hadn't had anything tattooed or pierced (besides my ears). I had never been to Ireland, Tanzania, or Nicaragua, nor did I even spare a thought that they could possibly be in my future. I hadn't lost my aunt to cancer... I didn't even know she had cancer. I didn't outright identify as a feminist, though I always had the tendencies. I only had 9 cousins, and nobody was married or had children. I had never been in a "serious" relationship. I hadn't yet made my Luna Lovegood costume for the midnight release party. I hadn't yet fallen in with the two best friends a girl could ask for. I had drive, but I had no idea what I was going to use it for. I had not been to hospital because of my own stupid mistakes. I had not yet found what I currently consider to be my calling.

5 years can seem like a long time, and yet no time at all. I can still distinctly remember sitting in Continental Airlines Arena, listening to the head honcho drone on, counting every name on the list so I could figure out the exact number of people I was graduating with. I remember being cold and hot at the same time. I remember searching for my parents' faces in the crowd. I remember yelling at my aunt and uncle. I remember how nervous I was to walk across the stage, how much I felt like I was going to trip. I remember singing in the choir during different parts of the graduation. I remember listening to a speech I thought was excellent, and then a speech I felt was lackluster. Or vice versa. I remember thinking how stupid it was that girls had to wear white, especially because it could be extra embarrassing if a little something should come early.

It's been over a year since I graduated college as well, and yet it still doesn't feel real... Life is a crazy journey!

-

On a Peace Corps related note, I update my "Timeline" to include an email I sent out over a week ago that I am still waiting to hear back on. Once I do, I will make it into a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment