Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Travels

I don’t remember many Memorial Days from when I was younger, but I do remember a couple of times when my family would go down to the Jersey shore with my great aunt and second cousins, because they lived down there. We would spend the day in the sand, the sun, and the water, and then go back to their house for a barbeque and some relaxation. I distinctly remember finding a slug one time on their porch and freaking out as one of the cousins poured salt on it and it started to wilt. Gross.

Memorial Day, an American holiday, is a day full of small travels because it is a federal holiday. Many people have off of work, off of school, allowing families to gather together to remember all who have died for us so that we can drink beer and barbeque on what would be a working day. We are commemorating the men and women who have made big travels, many risking their lives and their limbs, so that we can be as free as we are.

I met a man who was in the Army on a plane trip once. I can’t remember if it was when I was on my way to NJ or back to Los Angeles, but either way, we talked the entire flight (It was a shorted flight from NJ to North Carolina or vice versa). His name was Aaron and he was going home to see his family for a few weeks after completing training, before being shipped out to Afghanistan. He was 21 years old (my age!), and he was sacrificing everything to get a good education and fight for his country. It was eye-opening talking to him, because he was extraordinarily nice and friendly, very affable, and it was just sad because he was leaving right before the New Year to fight overseas.

So I dedicate this post to Aaron, to my step-cousin who is in the Army, to all the men and women who are currently fighting for the USA, and, especially, for all the men and women who have lost their lives over the years to defend the freedoms that the USA stands for, from the Revolutionary War up to today. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment