Monday, May 16, 2011

Welcome to my travel blog!


So, I’ve decided to start a travel blog. Not that I travel very often (okay, that’s a lie, sort of) or that I go to exotic places (also a lie, sort of)… but this is an experiment for me. I’ve started blogs and forgotten about them or never finished them or “didn’t have the time” to update them. But I want to have a log of all of my travels, so I’m doing this. Since I don’t plan on traveling much until next year, for now I can describe my past travels, pros and cons of different places, and all of that kind of stuff.

To start off, my name is Mary and I just graduated from college. Before high school, I had never traveled outside of the United States, however, I had been to many different states. My freshman year in high school, I went to Germany for two weeks, with day-long stops in France, Belgium, and Switzerland. I didn’t travel outside of the country again until the summer after my sophomore year of college, however, I did move across the country from NJ to CA for college, which is apparently a big deal to some people. It was a bit of an adventure. Summer of 2009 I went to Tanzania to volunteer for two months, with a stop in Amsterdam airport for a few hours, and a trip to Uganda for a week in the middle of volunteering, with a stop in Kenya on the way to Uganda. In the spring of 2010, my second semester junior year, I studied abroad in Ireland. While there, I visited Northern Ireland and England, and due to a stupid volcano in Iceland, I also went to Wales in order to take a ferry back to Ireland, since flying was out of the question. In the first week of this year, 2011, I went to Nicaragua on a school trip to learn about gender and social justice issues. I guess you can say I have a bit of a travel bug, and I love learning about different cultures, which is why I applied for the Peace Corps. I’m currently waiting to hear on my nomination, and I may leave as soon as January of next year.

Why do I love traveling? Between the people you meet, the experiences, and the beautiful places that you have to see to believe, there is nothing that I don’t love about traveling. Even the traveler’s diarrhea/constipation/sicknesses can’t deter me. That’s another reason for this blog. I want to write about these memories while I remember them and while they are happening so that I can remember them in the future. Hopefully, I can adventure some this summer, and report back, write about it, and basically keep this blog alive. I’m already planning a cross-country train trip, so if you have any suggestions or ideas about what I should see along the way, please tell me! I will write more about it as it pans out. I may even make the best of my last summer in southern California and take a trip up the Pacific Coast Highway.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment