Tuesday, February 21, 2017

2 Years Is Long (and So Short!)

It's been almost 2 years since I posted on this blog, and so much has happened since then. I figured that now would be the perfect time to get this up-and-running again, for a number of reasons. However, the main reason is simple: I forgot much of what I had put down here already, so I want to create a blog of memories, so-to-speak. Also, a writing instructor reached out to me to ask if he could use one of my Peace Corps essays in his class on how to craft a good one, and I couldn't say no. I was flattered!

I want to tell you all what I've been doing since I last wrote, but I don't want this to be an extremely long post, so I'll break it down by date and a brief description. Here we go:

  • March 2015 - August 2015: Finished up Peace Corps service, applied to a bunch of jobs, then decided that I wanted to stay in Cambodia - no extensive traveling after service, no heading home, just staying and living. Not even a week after my service ended, I started a new position. 
  • August 2015 - July 2016: Living and working in Phnom Penh. During this time I had two jobs, discovered that what feels like failure can lead to new opportunities, and I figured out that, at this point in my life, I'm not the biggest fan of working in the private sector, but I still absolutely love teaching. I was in a moto accident with accompanying injuries, I went home to be a bridesmaid, and I made the choice to move back to the US because it felt like the right time.
  • July 2016 - August 2016: Funemployment, or "My new position starts in 3 weeks, this is the second time in less than a year that I haven't had a job to go to every day, and existential dread."
  • August 2016 - Present: I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA (because I can't get enough of service, apparently) and I live in Phoenix. 
Since I've moved to Phoenix, I'm learning much more about myself. I enjoy moving to new places, and discovering that yes, it's hard to make friends as an adult, but much easier if you put yourself out there. I finally joined a November Project tribe and ran my first half marathon! I've made countless friends, and I went to a real Superbowl party for the first time in years. I'm also working part time for Kaplan (I really, really love teaching). My VISTA position has me in constant contact with the justice-involved population, which has been both challenging and enlightening. I've learned so much and I continue to learn something new every day. I'm extremely thankful for all of the opportunities that I've had along the way, and continue to look forward to the new opportunities that each sun rise brings into my life.

Oh, yes! And I forgot to mention - I've been applying to graduate programs in Public Health. I've heard back from the majority of schools that I have applied to (all "Accepted" so far) and I've even been offered some scholarships. So, I will definitely be moving again come the summer, but I don't know whether it will be 2 hours away by car from Phoenix or if it will be on the East Coast once again. Only time will tell.

I hope you all have enjoyed my update! I'll be sure to put some more time into this - I want to remember all the big joys I've had this year and will continue to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment