Monday, April 16, 2012

All Types of Training

Yes, I know. I said my next post was going to be about death. However, I have something else on my mind, so I thought I would share.

We spend so much time being trained in life. School is training for the future. Various job positions have a few days or a few weeks of training before you are on your own. Many volunteer positions require either training or a solid background in something in order to not be trained. Training is a big part of our lives, whether we realize it or not.

Today, I completed my second day of training for a volunteer position on an online hotline. In my life, I have been trained to: help a woman at birth, volunteer on a phone hotline, teach sex ed to middle school students, teach HIV/AIDS education to high school students in a different country, set up for and clean up after a Catholic Mass or Wedding, work as a receptionist, drive students around, speak appropriately to young ladies, bartend... really, any number of things.

In all honesty, I find any sort of training fascinating, but then again, I love to absorb information. From what I have read, the Peace Corps training process is intense and exhausting. For those who don't know, the PC training is a 2-3 month long process, where you are not only trained in what your "sector" is, but also taught the language of the place you will be, as well as, from what I have gleaned, various other topics related to service.

I am so excited to one day go through the entire thing. I know I am technically still in the application process (ugh, deferrals), but I can't help but hold onto that dream. One day, it will all be worth it. And one day, when I come back and complain about how much work training is, and how it exhausts me, I'm going to read this entry. Because it is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment