Thursday, September 19, 2013

Highlights From This Week (so far)



Now that I’m feeling much less homesick, I thought I’d share some nice/cool/awesome things that have happened since I last wrote, but first, two non-highlights, both from today.

- About an hour before we were supposed to leave for lunch, a woman came into the health center in labor. The labor went longer than the first birth here that I experienced, but the staff just let it progress until she was ready. This is where the scary part happened. She was pushing and pushing and all of a sudden the baby came out with the cord wrapped around his neck. The midwife quickly told the mom to stop pushing, spun him, and had the cord cut and unwrapped from around his neck before I could even process what was going on. With one final push, the baby boy came out, but he was limp and not making a sound. At this point, it was an internal struggle not to show anxiety on my face, but I managed to continue to hold the mother’s hand and smile at her. The midwife knew what to do, of course, since she’s trained in this. She quickly suctioned the baby and he still wasn’t moving or responding, so she vigorously started cleaning him off and that’s when he started to move, and, eventually, cry. Never in my life have I been so grateful to hear a baby cry.

- Less than an hour before I posted this, I slipped outside on my way to the bathroom, and completely fell. I ended up with guck and grime all over my right side, what feels like it will eventually be a nasty bruise on my hip, and a cut on my hand. Luckily, I was wearing a sweatshirt since it’s been so cold, so I didn’t hurt my elbow or any of my arm. Now, though, I have to do more laundry before my clothes start to take on the outside smell, because where I fell is where the chickens and ducks and dogs hang out.

And now for the highlights:

- I’ve started teaching myself guitar. Nobody told me how much this would hurt my fingers, but I’m trying to play every day in order to build the callouses on my fingers faster. I’ve had the guitar since the end of August, but finally took it out of the case on Sunday, and played a very slow (and very bad) version of “Hand in My Pocket” by Alanis, to an audience of 3: my youngest sister and two of my cousins who are always over. They were a great audience, even though they laughed every time I got really into the song. They also watched me practice for awhile. I can now play an A chord and an E chord without looking in my “Guitar for Dummies” book. I know it’s not much, but it’s a start.

- I am apparently afraid of geese. I was in the market this weekend, walking back to my house, when my way was blocked by a small gaggle. I started walking towards them when the biggest one squawked and flapped its wings at me, and I quickly retreated. A bunch of children under the age of 7 were watching this entire thing go down, so one of the girls quickly ran past me and scattered the geese everywhere. I said a quick thank you and continued on my way, kind of embarrassed, but happy for the help. And then this same scenario played out yesterday, except it was a boy of about 4 who chased the geese away.

- My Program Manager called each of our families on Tuesday to see how we were doing and find out if they had any concerns. I had asked him to clarify something with my mom, since we had had two conversations about it, and I was still unsure what the end result was. I got a call back yesterday, and after he clarified the point I was looking into, he told me that my homestay mom loves me and has absolutely no complaints about me and thinks I fit in well with the family and the community. I felt like I was on cloud 9 when he told me this, because I’ve been so unsure of myself since my Khmer skills are not the greatest.

- I’ve been hanging out with my sisters a lot more, and that just overall makes me happy. I think they are becoming more accepting of me as a sister rather than as a foreigner who happens to live in their house. I can’t wait until my Khmer is good enough to have some deep conversations with them. Oh, and I taught them how to play Connect 4. I absolutely love this game, and now they do too! They play against each other, against me, and against their cousins all the time. I’m so glad that 1) Barnes & Noble had the travel version, 2) that I thought to buy it, and 3) that I brought it!

- I’ve been teaching one of the midwives at my health center English when it is slow, and she is doing so well. We’ve done the alphabet and a few simple phrases, and she’s starting to get the hang of it. I don’t know why I feel so proud, but I do. We also laugh a lot, which just makes my day better.

- My Deputy Health Center Director taught me how to read a TB test slide. I learned how to read slides last year in Biology, but this real world application really brought it back to the forefront of my mind. I know TB itself isn’t cool, but it’s cool to know what to look for in a slide that would show signs of TB.

- I did laundry on Saturday and it was finally dry on Wednesday after hanging in a covered area outside. That is how much it rains here… it takes forever for things to dry. I really can’t leave laundry until the last minute, unlike in Takeo, where the sun and heat assured that laundry could be dry by lunch, but would be dry by the next day.

And the best for last…

- Monday, I finally sent a text to the Secondary School’s Upper-Grade-Levels English teacher to see if he would be able to tutor me. He then apparently went to my house when I was still at the health center and talked to my mom. My mom is incredibly over-protective of me, and decided that while this teacher was good, she wanted to find me someone who would tutor me for free. Long story short, I now have a Khmer writing tutor, who I have for 30 minutes a day every weekday and who doesn’t want to be paid because I’m helping him with his English pronunciation, and starting after the next Cambodian holiday, I’ll have a Khmer speaking tutor, who I will have every weekday for an hour day and who I will pay. On that note, I’ve only been study Khmer script for 3 days, but I’m really starting to get the hang of how it works, and I can even name some consonants and vowels now, due to a combination of the tutoring and this awesome book that the Peace Corps provided.

Well that’s all for now folks. Remember, I love getting emails, postcards, letters, and Facebook messages. Even if it’s just a quick hi, it means the absolute world to me.

I’ll write soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment